"Willpower is power"
Date published : September 8, 2009 - St-Georges-de-Beauce, Quebec
St-Georges-de-Beauce – with a population of 30,113 habitants – is the main town in the regional county municipality (RCM) of Beauce-Sartigan, which is part of the larger administrative region of Chaudière-Appalaches. Located in south-eastern Quebec, the area shares a border with the state of Maine.
St-Georges de Beauce is home to six out of every ten inhabitants in Beauce-Sartigan, which contains 16 towns in all, of which seven have a population of 1000 or more.
The county municipality has the highest percentage of people under 25 in the region, although according to 2001 census figures, 42% of people between 15 and 24 are no longer studying, compared to 34.7 for the region as a whole.
In 2000 the average annual income in the RCM for people aged 15 and over was slightly higher than the regional average - $ 23,321 compared to $24,083.
As of June 2007 Beauce-Sartigan was home to 1943 businesses that together employed about 26,500 people. 90% of these businesses employed less than 20 people.
According to 2001 census figures :
• 6.5% of Beauce-Sartigan’s economy is dedicated to primary resource industries.
• 39.7 % is taken up by secondary industry – the manufacture of textiles, wood and metal products.
• 54.8% is given over the tertiary service sector.
• For the region of Chaudière-Appalaches as a whole, secondary industry represents 29.9% of the economy and the service sector takes up 63.1%.
Between 2000 and 2008, the number of manufacturing jobs in Beauce-Sartigan dropped by 23 % - from 10,868 to 8,322, and an additional 656 jobs disappeared in 2009.
In 2008 manufacturers in Beauce-Sartigan saw their sales drop by $58 million, with export sales dropping by $54 million.
Emploi Québec, Profil socioéconomique de la MRC de Beauce-Sartigan, juin 2008
Le Soleil, April 2. 2009
La Presse Affaires, March 28, 2009
© 2009 NFB – All rights reserved
- The International Labour Organization
- has announced that worldwide
- unemployment in 2009 could reach
- 241 million - the highest level ever